Michael Steele Gets It Right
Well if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that's the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan. Alright? Because everyone who has tried over a thousand years of history has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan without committing more troops.
comments powered by Disqus
Jane S. Shaw - 7/4/2010
David, I agree. The general thrust of Steele's remarks is right -- mainly that "the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan." On its being "Obama's war," perhaps he went a bit too far--erroneously thinking that such a statement would appeal to the Republican base. The opprobrium he has received from Republican pundits is not deserved.
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial