Michael Steele Gets It Right
Well if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that's the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan. Alright? Because everyone who has tried over a thousand years of history has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan without committing more troops.
comments powered by Disqus
Jane S. Shaw - 7/4/2010
David, I agree. The general thrust of Steele's remarks is right -- mainly that "the one thing you don't do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan." On its being "Obama's war," perhaps he went a bit too far--erroneously thinking that such a statement would appeal to the Republican base. The opprobrium he has received from Republican pundits is not deserved.
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook