Should Whites-Only Lunch Counters Be Allowed?
The standard libertarian answer is, "Yes, although I don't approve of the racist policy."
I say, "No. He shouldn't be allowed."
He shouldn't be allowed, but it's not the literal force of government or private parties that should disallow it. It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it.
There, that's cleared up. Next controversy.
comments powered by Disqus
Allan Walstad - 6/1/2010
I agree that such pressures can be a negative incentive to private discrimination. "Disallow" is rather too strong. At some level, if there is a market for single-race (or single sex or...) lunch counters, someone is likely to step forward to serve that market. And frankly, it wouldn't be on my personal priority list to make trouble for them. They are entitled to their preferences.
Jule R. Herbert - 5/30/2010
Well, Sheldon, if you think it is a big deal, it is time to get started. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of white-only (and black-only) eating and drinking establishments all over the country, including, I'll bet, Arkansas. Seems like the owners and customers prefer it that way.
Sheldon Richman - 5/30/2010
Boycotts, picketing, sit-ins, publicity.
Allan Walstad - 5/30/2010
"It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it."
How would it do so?
- National Security Archive Sues State Department Over Kissinger Telephone Messages
- White House March to stop ISIS from destroying what remains of Mesopotamian Civilization
- Scholars, Writers and Thinkers Call for Academic Freedom in Thailand
- Stanford’s Ian Morris says technology is changing the human animal
- Yale historian traces the establishment of slavery plantations to a taste for sugar