Should Whites-Only Lunch Counters Be Allowed?
The standard libertarian answer is, "Yes, although I don't approve of the racist policy."
I say, "No. He shouldn't be allowed."
He shouldn't be allowed, but it's not the literal force of government or private parties that should disallow it. It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it.
There, that's cleared up. Next controversy.
comments powered by Disqus
Allan Walstad - 6/1/2010
I agree that such pressures can be a negative incentive to private discrimination. "Disallow" is rather too strong. At some level, if there is a market for single-race (or single sex or...) lunch counters, someone is likely to step forward to serve that market. And frankly, it wouldn't be on my personal priority list to make trouble for them. They are entitled to their preferences.
Jule R. Herbert - 5/30/2010
Well, Sheldon, if you think it is a big deal, it is time to get started. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of white-only (and black-only) eating and drinking establishments all over the country, including, I'll bet, Arkansas. Seems like the owners and customers prefer it that way.
Sheldon Richman - 5/30/2010
Boycotts, picketing, sit-ins, publicity.
Allan Walstad - 5/30/2010
"It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it."
How would it do so?
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled