The "New Bellesiles"
Bellesiles argues that "[c]lass superseded race as the primary area of conflict; abolitionists became social [sic] Darwinists; onetime liberals came to see the wisdom of social control; those who fought for freedom demanded prohibition; elites battled to maintain their power in every corner of the country."
comments powered by Disqus
Michael Green - 8/6/2010
My concern is not whether he appeals to liberal biases, and it disappoints me that that would be the concern here. My concern is whether he is accurate. Arming America was not; he can, correctly, say the NRA was out to get him, but he still seems convinced that he did nothing wrong. If his new book is correctly researched, he is entitled to whatever interpretation he wants, and others are entitled to debate it.
Gary O'Connor - 5/14/2010
Speaking of the Second Amendment, you can get a bobblehead of the author of the Heller opinion (Justice Scalia) and contribute to a worthy cause: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170484173397&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948