Modern History Notes
Geoffrey Wheatcroft,"About Face," NYT, 26 April, reviews Max Hastings's Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945.
Michael Idov,"Spy Games," The Book, 30 April, reviews Ben Macintyre's Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory.
Harold Evans,"The Magazine King," Daily Beast, 1 May, reviews Alan Brinkley's The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century.
Nick Turse,"The Pentagon Book Club," Nation, 29 April, reviews Mark Philip Bradley's Vietnam at War, John Prados's Vietnam: The History of an Unwinnable War, 1945-1975, Lewis Sorley's A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam, and Sorley's Vietnam Chronicles: The Abrams Tapes, 1968-1972.
Christine Smallwood interviews Tony Judt for the Nation, 29 April.
comments powered by Disqus
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success
- Sven Beckert’s List of the Ten Books on Slavery You Need to Read
- Jonathan Zimmerman says homosexuality is not alien to Africa
- Historian Howard Segal says the cost of paying for expensive commencement speeches is diverting funds from where they’re most needed