Modern History Notes
Geoffrey Wheatcroft,"About Face," NYT, 26 April, reviews Max Hastings's Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945.
Michael Idov,"Spy Games," The Book, 30 April, reviews Ben Macintyre's Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory.
Harold Evans,"The Magazine King," Daily Beast, 1 May, reviews Alan Brinkley's The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century.
Nick Turse,"The Pentagon Book Club," Nation, 29 April, reviews Mark Philip Bradley's Vietnam at War, John Prados's Vietnam: The History of an Unwinnable War, 1945-1975, Lewis Sorley's A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam, and Sorley's Vietnam Chronicles: The Abrams Tapes, 1968-1972.
Christine Smallwood interviews Tony Judt for the Nation, 29 April.
comments powered by Disqus
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean