"The State is All" (Outer Limits)
Here is a segment from my all-time favorite"Outer Limits" episode. Some think that it was the inspiration for"The Terminator." The episode focuses on a soldier who comes from a future world dominanted by war where"the state is all." The writing reflects the fear of an all powerful government which was often apparent in science fiction shows during the 1960s such as the"Twilight Zone." Sadly, a modern writer would probably change this theme to something like"the corporation is all."
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 4/23/2010
No, it's not particularly about "evil corporations are evil" - although they mention a company, Cyberdyne Systems, the actual cause of the near-demise of humanity is The State - Skynet is a government defense network which is nominally American, but when it achieved AI, it hooked up with all global missile commands and tried to destroy all humans (this theme is actually a lift from the underrated Colossus: The Forbin Project). It's clearly the government that has screwed up here, not "markets."
David T. Beito - 4/22/2010
As I recall, The Terminator doesn't feature an attack on "the corporations" or free markets but could be wrong.
Aeon J. Skoble - 4/21/2010
James Cameron wrote and directed The Terminator. He owned up to his debt to Ellison.
And yes, Michael Ansara is terrific and underrated, I agree!
David T. Beito - 4/21/2010
Was Cameron involved in The Terminator? BTW, Michael Ansara is absolutely perfect in this role is very much an underrated actor.
Aeon J. Skoble - 4/21/2010
It's a fantastic episode, and your critique is exactly right. One nit pick: when you say "some people think," that includes James Cameron, who acknowledged his debt to Harlan Ellison.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges