HILLARY BACKS DOWN
Clinton told reporters in Washington that the United States has an"absolute commitment to Israel's security" -- a shift in nuance compared with her characterization Friday of the United States as a"strong supporter" of Israel's security. She also hailed the" close, unshakable bond" between the two countries, in contrast to her comment Friday that"our relationship is durable and strong."
Such distinctions may seem minor, but they carry weight in the Middle East, where every line and comma is scrutinized. The office of Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu immediately issued a statement saying that Israel"appreciates and respects the warm words" from Clinton on"the deep bond between the U.S. and Israel, and on the U.S. commitment to Israel's security."
Netanyahu's brother in law can afford to be honest about Rev. Wright's protege, even if Bibi cannot:
In an interview with Israel Army Radio on Wednesday, Hagai Ben Artzi, the brother of Netanyahu's wife Sara, reportedly said:"it needs to be said clearly and simply: There is an anti-Semitic president in the US. It's not that Obama doesn't sympathize with [Mr. Netanyahu]. He doesn't sympathize with the people of Israel."
Netanyahu's office swifty published a condemnation:"I entirely reject the remarks of Hagai Ben Artzi."
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton