OBAMA BEATS UP ISRAEL TO DISTRACT ARABS FROM IRAN
For more than four months the U.S. government has been celebrating Israel agreeing to stop construction on settlements in the West Bank while continuing building in east Jerusalem as a great step forward and Israeli concession deserving a reward. Suddenly, all of this is forgotten to say that Israel building in east Jerusalem is some kind of terrible deed which deserves punishment. . . .
October 31, 2009: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton lavishly praises Israel as making"unprecedented" concessions in stopping construction on West Bank settlements while it is still going to build in east Jerusalem.
March 12, 2010: Secretary of State Hilary Clinton says that Israel building in east Jerusalem is an "insult" to the United States, jeopardizes the bilateral relationship, and damages the cause of resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
To prove to the Arabs, he is a MAN, Tom Friedman explains to Tom Brokaw:
In the Middle East, people can guess your power from a hundred paces. They have to. That's how, how they survive. And if we look weak, vis-a-vis our closest ally in the region, that will have regional implications.
In other words, hiding behind Hillary's skirts, Obama tries to counter Arab perceptions that he is not strong enough to stand up to Iran by beating up on Israel on the issue of settlements. After all, showing toughness by abusing Jews has a long"honorable" tradition and as my distinguished history professor, Yaakov Talmon, pointed out, Israel is the “Jew of the nations." Friedman should know. Every so often, he beats up on Israel as he does today to prove that he deserves to be a NYT columnist.
Is sending a woman to beat up on a longtime ally, even a Jewish one, an effective way to prove doubting Arabs that Obama has enough"Cojones" to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons? After all, Friedman acknowledges, the Arabs are"obsessed" with Iran. So obsessed General Petraeus says that they would like the US and Israel to bomb it.
No. The truth is that Obama and company would like the Arab world to stop obsessing and learn to live if not love the Iranian bomb. They believe waving the red"settlements" flag in front of Arab bulls will help refocus their attention on the less explosive Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
It used to be said that if Israel did not exist, the Arab autocrats would have had to invent her. Sad to say, the same is true today about this Democratic administration and its supporters.
comments powered by Disqus
- Betsy DeVos Press Release Celebrates Jim Crow Education System as Pioneer of “School Choice”
- Eisenhower Concluded Neither U.S. Military Operations Nor Popular Uprisings Were Feasible in Soviet-Controlled Eastern Europe, Despite “Rollback” Rhetoric
- Jesse Jackson: It’s ok to leave Confederate monuments in place, but tell the full story
- Taiwan Commemorates a Violent Nationalist Episode, 70 Years Later
- As Albania Reckons With Its Communist Past, Critics Say It’s Too Late
- Mostafa el-Abbadi, Champion of Alexandria’s Resurrected Library, Dies at 88
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write