Michael Bérubé and My Post on Gun Free Zones
The point that must not go unacknowledged is that there is no way University of Alabama- Huntsville students can feel safe on campus until professors are permitted to bring guns to faculty meetings. Apparently, David Beito agrees.
Well, thank goodness somebody’s finally thinking about the children.
In reality, the question of whether professors should bring their .45s and glock nines to faculty meetings has very little bearing on student safety. But it would definitely raise the stakes for the discussion of whether to revise the Literature Before 1800 requirement of the English major.
In his amusing post, Bérubé has a single sentence (emphasis mine) opining that this question has"very little bearing on student [or faculty/staff?] safety." Perhaps he could elaborate.
How does he suggest we improve campus safety? If, for example, he believes in"gun free zones," what measures would he propose to better enforce them? Should universities install more metal detectors? Should they redouble the size of their campus security forces? We'd all like to know.
To move along the discussion, I'll elaborate on my views. I believe that Alabama's concealed carry law should trump the current"gun free zones" at government universities and colleges. As a believer in liberty and property rights, however, I oppose imposition of a"one best system" on private institutions. They should be free to set their own standards, mistaken or otherwise.
comments powered by Disqus
Allan Walstad - 2/20/2010
Agreed. The point is that nobody is made safer by a no-guns rule that murderers ignore and only conscientious law-abiding folks obey. Since a statement of the real issue doesn't suit anti-gun fanatics' rhetorical purposes, they replace it with a straw man.
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/16/2010
Yep, here too. Without going to the extreme of saying that all faculty should be required to bear arms, why not simply allow anyone whom the State has already granted permission to bear arms to do so on campus?
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”