Rand Paul is No Libertarian
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 2/10/2010
Leaving aside your other points for a minute, I simply don't think this strategy will work. First, it will arrive away potential donors from Paul's most dedicated base. I gave a couple of thoussand to Ron Paul but won't give a penny to this campaign as it stands now. Second, the commercial will merely be drowned out by similar commercials from other candidates. Voters who like commercials like this have plenty of other candidates to choose from. It certainly didn't work when the Ron Paul campaign ran similar advertisements in Iowa and New Hampshire. The common denominator in both cases was the misguided Jesse Benton, campaign mananger from both campaigns.
IMHO, a more promising approach is for Paul to play to his strengths: the popular revulsion against big government, government health care, and debt. Please note that this commercial was the first one for the Rand Paul campaign so it very much sets the tone.
Richard Clark - 2/10/2010
"Pandering" is not unlibertarian per se. After all, radical libertarians don't have any special regard for voting, which is an exercise that mostly acts to enhance the state's control the people, not the people's control of the state.
And political ads say more about what a campaign has concluded about the composition of its voter base than about what the candidate personally believes. As an ancap, I don't think there is anything wrong with lying to get into office. We can only judge Rand Paul's actions in office once he is there. There is no harm in his pandering, though, since he doesn't bill himself as a libertarian.
His campaign, probably correctly, arrived at the conclusion that such images would be appealing to voters in Kentucky. Thinking that this empirical analysis has anything to do with anybody's theory of justice is a mistake.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity