Hear John Flynn Speak
This audio of an entire America First Committee rally from June 1941 is a real treat. The sound quality is crisp and clear:
The all-star line-up includes John T. Flynn (about 4:30 into the audio), probably the most important activist in the “Old Right” during the 1940s and the 1950s.
Speaking after Flynn is John Cudahy, a former ambassador to Ireland, Belgium, and Poland and a Democrat. To enthusiastic applause, Cudahy not only condemns Roosevelt's foreign policy but calls for reestablishment of the gold standard!
My old friend and associate at the Institute for Humane Studies, John E. Moser, has written the first full-length biography of Flynn: Right Turn: John T. Flynn And The Transformation Of American Liberalism
comments powered by Disqus
John Evan Moser - 1/13/2010
Thanks for sharing this, David. Believe it or not, I had never heard a recording of Flynn's voice. Justus Doenecke once told me that it was extremely raspy, but Justus's only experience with Flynn's voice would have been via Flynn's radio program in the 1950s. By then I'm assuming that a lifetime of smoking had taken its toll. His voice here is strong, clear, and forceful.
- Moving Photographs of Japanese American Internees, Then and Now
- A One-of-a-Kind Trove Reveals What 19th-Century American Boyhood Was Really Like
- St. Louis University moves controversial statue after protests
- UNC Renames Building That Honored Ku Klux Klan Leader
- A Wartime Bomb, Unearthed in Germany, Recalls Darker Days
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize