Hear John Flynn Speak
This audio of an entire America First Committee rally from June 1941 is a real treat. The sound quality is crisp and clear:
The all-star line-up includes John T. Flynn (about 4:30 into the audio), probably the most important activist in the “Old Right” during the 1940s and the 1950s.
Speaking after Flynn is John Cudahy, a former ambassador to Ireland, Belgium, and Poland and a Democrat. To enthusiastic applause, Cudahy not only condemns Roosevelt's foreign policy but calls for reestablishment of the gold standard!
My old friend and associate at the Institute for Humane Studies, John E. Moser, has written the first full-length biography of Flynn: Right Turn: John T. Flynn And The Transformation Of American Liberalism
comments powered by Disqus
John Evan Moser - 1/13/2010
Thanks for sharing this, David. Believe it or not, I had never heard a recording of Flynn's voice. Justus Doenecke once told me that it was extremely raspy, but Justus's only experience with Flynn's voice would have been via Flynn's radio program in the 1950s. By then I'm assuming that a lifetime of smoking had taken its toll. His voice here is strong, clear, and forceful.
- Tut’s beard glued back on like a bad craft project
- Smithsonian working to finalize deal for new site in London
- The voices of Auschwitz
- What countries teach children about the Holocaust varies hugely
- Duke honors historian John Hope Franklin with year-long series of events
- What New Left History Gave Us
- Marcus Borg, Liberal Christian Scholar, Dies at 72
- Richard Hofstadter’s insights into the "paranoid style in American politics” lauded in the NYT