DEMOCRACIES TILTS TOWARDS AUTOCRATIC CHINA, IRAN
Ft columnist Gideon Rachman describes the disastrous consequences for America of Obama administration's abandonment of democratic values:
Ever since 1945, the US has regarded itself as the leader of the “free world”. But the Obama administration is facing an unexpected and unwelcome development in global politics. Four of the biggest and most strategically important democracies in the developing world – Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey – are increasingly at odds with American foreign policy. Rather than siding with the US on the big international issues, they are just as likely to line up with authoritarian powers such as China and Iran.
And why should they not when Iranian demonstrators ask:" obama ya ba oona ya ba ma (Obama, are you with us or with them?)" and Hillary Clinton rushes to assure Ahmadinejad not to worry. It is true that Obama set a deadline of a year for results of his engagement policy but he did not really mean it. Negotiations with Iran will continue, she says.
Rachman ends thus:
Mr Obama is seen as a huge improvement on George W. Bush – but he is still an American president. As emerging global powers and developing nations, Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey may often feel they have more in common with a rising China than with the democratic US.
They do not feel they have more in common because they are non white. Certainly, India could not be more nervous about Chinese muscle flexing or the weakening of this administration's support. The Obama administration has made a conscious decision to distinguish itself from the previous one by downplaying democracy and freedom. This was openly averred by Foggy Bottom officials at a recent Johns Hopkins conference about the retreat from democracy in Eastern Europe. Obama is doing his best to make the world"fairer" by making America poorer and weaker. So, frightened they veer towards the stronger horse!
Oh, yes, Western elites are paralyzed by fear. They duped themselves to believe that Obama's election will save them. Ha!
comments powered by Disqus
- Obama May Create Monument to Gay Rights Movement
- China to release last prisoner jailed over Tiananmen Square protests
- Marine Corps investigating photo of iconic flag-raising on Iwo Jima
- Scholars Blast New Study Tracing Ashkenazi Jews to Khazars of Ancient Turkey
- Legendary Explorer’s Long-Lost Ship May Have Been Found Off Rhode Island
- The Historian Whitewashing Ukraine’s Past
- Andrew Roberts wins $250,000 prize from the conservative Bradley Foundation
- Daniel Aaron, Critic and Historian Who Pioneered American Studies, Dies at 103
- Liz Covart's amazingly popular podcast helps her audience understand early American history
- Justus Rosenberg is still teaching at age 95