DEMOCRACIES TILTS TOWARDS AUTOCRATIC CHINA, IRAN
Ft columnist Gideon Rachman describes the disastrous consequences for America of Obama administration's abandonment of democratic values:
Ever since 1945, the US has regarded itself as the leader of the “free world”. But the Obama administration is facing an unexpected and unwelcome development in global politics. Four of the biggest and most strategically important democracies in the developing world – Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey – are increasingly at odds with American foreign policy. Rather than siding with the US on the big international issues, they are just as likely to line up with authoritarian powers such as China and Iran.
And why should they not when Iranian demonstrators ask:" obama ya ba oona ya ba ma (Obama, are you with us or with them?)" and Hillary Clinton rushes to assure Ahmadinejad not to worry. It is true that Obama set a deadline of a year for results of his engagement policy but he did not really mean it. Negotiations with Iran will continue, she says.
Rachman ends thus:
Mr Obama is seen as a huge improvement on George W. Bush – but he is still an American president. As emerging global powers and developing nations, Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey may often feel they have more in common with a rising China than with the democratic US.
They do not feel they have more in common because they are non white. Certainly, India could not be more nervous about Chinese muscle flexing or the weakening of this administration's support. The Obama administration has made a conscious decision to distinguish itself from the previous one by downplaying democracy and freedom. This was openly averred by Foggy Bottom officials at a recent Johns Hopkins conference about the retreat from democracy in Eastern Europe. Obama is doing his best to make the world"fairer" by making America poorer and weaker. So, frightened they veer towards the stronger horse!
Oh, yes, Western elites are paralyzed by fear. They duped themselves to believe that Obama's election will save them. Ha!
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)