I'm a Winner! (Black Maverick and From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State)
Also, Damon Root, at Reason, has has this to say about my most recent book (co-authored by Linda Royster Beito):
But my vote for the year’s best book goes to David and Linda Beito’s landmark biography Black Maverick: T.R.M. Howard’s Fight for Civil Rights and Economic Power. Howard was a wealthy doctor, entrepreneur, and mutual aid leader who championed civil rights, capitalism, and armed self-defense amidst the lawlessness and state-sanctioned violence of Jim Crow Mississippi. As Black Maverick convincingly shows, no history of the civil rights movement is complete until it acknowledges Howard’s indispensable contributions.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 1/4/2010
All of your congratulations mean a lot to me!
Jane S. Shaw - 1/1/2010
David and Linda: You have a lot to be proud of. Your work on mutual aid societies has had enormous ripple effects. (I never sat down and read it, although I looked through it when you came to visit; I had heard about it for years.) I agree that Black Maverick was extremely well done, as I'll be indicating in an upcoming review.
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/1/2010
Congratulations! It's well-deserved.
William J. Stepp - 12/31/2009
To David (and co-author Linda of Black Maverick) for two outstanding books and well-deserved citations.
Steven Horwitz - 12/31/2009
Both kudos are very well deserved David. Two excellent books.
Keith Halderman - 12/31/2009
I wholeheartly agree with committee's choice and the review.
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?