I'm a Winner! (Black Maverick and From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State)
Also, Damon Root, at Reason, has has this to say about my most recent book (co-authored by Linda Royster Beito):
But my vote for the year’s best book goes to David and Linda Beito’s landmark biography Black Maverick: T.R.M. Howard’s Fight for Civil Rights and Economic Power. Howard was a wealthy doctor, entrepreneur, and mutual aid leader who championed civil rights, capitalism, and armed self-defense amidst the lawlessness and state-sanctioned violence of Jim Crow Mississippi. As Black Maverick convincingly shows, no history of the civil rights movement is complete until it acknowledges Howard’s indispensable contributions.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 1/4/2010
All of your congratulations mean a lot to me!
Jane S. Shaw - 1/1/2010
David and Linda: You have a lot to be proud of. Your work on mutual aid societies has had enormous ripple effects. (I never sat down and read it, although I looked through it when you came to visit; I had heard about it for years.) I agree that Black Maverick was extremely well done, as I'll be indicating in an upcoming review.
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/1/2010
Congratulations! It's well-deserved.
William J. Stepp - 12/31/2009
To David (and co-author Linda of Black Maverick) for two outstanding books and well-deserved citations.
Steven Horwitz - 12/31/2009
Both kudos are very well deserved David. Two excellent books.
Keith Halderman - 12/31/2009
I wholeheartly agree with committee's choice and the review.
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss explains the significance of yesterday’s Bush-Obama attack on Trump
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian