I'm a Winner! (Black Maverick and From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State)
Also, Damon Root, at Reason, has has this to say about my most recent book (co-authored by Linda Royster Beito):
But my vote for the year’s best book goes to David and Linda Beito’s landmark biography Black Maverick: T.R.M. Howard’s Fight for Civil Rights and Economic Power. Howard was a wealthy doctor, entrepreneur, and mutual aid leader who championed civil rights, capitalism, and armed self-defense amidst the lawlessness and state-sanctioned violence of Jim Crow Mississippi. As Black Maverick convincingly shows, no history of the civil rights movement is complete until it acknowledges Howard’s indispensable contributions.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 1/4/2010
All of your congratulations mean a lot to me!
Jane S. Shaw - 1/1/2010
David and Linda: You have a lot to be proud of. Your work on mutual aid societies has had enormous ripple effects. (I never sat down and read it, although I looked through it when you came to visit; I had heard about it for years.) I agree that Black Maverick was extremely well done, as I'll be indicating in an upcoming review.
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/1/2010
Congratulations! It's well-deserved.
William J. Stepp - 12/31/2009
To David (and co-author Linda of Black Maverick) for two outstanding books and well-deserved citations.
Steven Horwitz - 12/31/2009
Both kudos are very well deserved David. Two excellent books.
Keith Halderman - 12/31/2009
I wholeheartly agree with committee's choice and the review.
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy