Another Old Picture
The core of the IHS staff at the time is down front: Walter Grinder, Leonard Liggio, John Blundell. In front fo the porch on the right are Randy Barnett, Sheldon Richman, Jeremy Shearmur, and Ralph Raico. Students there include, that I can identify, Roderick Long, Pete Boettke, Dave Prychitko, myself, and I believe that's Emily Chamlee-Wright between Pete and Dave. I think I also see John Majewski down front and maybe Todd Zywicki as well. Folks can feel free to correct me or add names that I've missed in the comments.
comments powered by Disqus
jo kwong - 1/12/2010
Some more possible names.
Last row from right to left are David Mayer, David Beito, Jo Kwong, Tom Palmer
The row with the "unknown women" are Andrea Salzburg, Sharon Kern (receptionist), ?Rosemary Boettke? and Margo Reeves.
I'll send the photo to Rosemary to see if that's her.
David T. Beito - 1/5/2010
And we drank buckets and buckets of coffee!
David N. Mayer - 1/4/2010
Just confirming that, indeed, it's David Beito and I (David Mayer) who are on the right side of the back row. 1987-88 was the year David and I were "post-doc" fellows at IHS. We had office space in the "cottage" (of the old IHS facility), along with Tom Palmer.
Steven Horwitz - 1/4/2010
I don't have any others folks.
David T. Beito - 1/4/2010
It would have to be 1989 (or earlier). I started at UNLV in the fall of 1989 and the picture was taken before I left.
Common Sense - 1/3/2010
Common Sense - 1/3/2010
Would appreciate it.
Dan Schmutter - 1/3/2010
Do you have a photo from 1988?
David T. Beito - 12/31/2009
I have this photo too. Two copies! Anne Hudson is sitting on John Blundell's left.
Elaine Hawley - 12/30/2009
Back row l-r (unknown, Larry White, Tom Palmer, perhaps Jo Kwong, David Beito, unknown)
3d row (ladies in front of Richman et al. (Andrea Salzburg- secretary, unknown, unknown, Margo Reeves-graphic artist.
The woman next to Pete doesn't look like Emily. It might be Catherine Valcke (Faculty of Law, University of Toronto) http://www.law.utoronto.ca/faculty_content.asp?itemPath=1/3/4/0/0&profile=56&cType=facMembers.
Once you get all the ID's, I would love it if you could you tag the names and send me a jpg for the IHS archive? Elaine Hawley (IHS librarian)
Common Sense - 12/30/2009
If that is Mayer top right, going to his right (our left) is, I think, David Beito, Jo Kwong, Tom Palmer, and just maybe Larry White. Is that Christine Blundell next to Walter? Is that Margo the art director in front of Ralph?
Steven Horwitz - 12/29/2009
Yup, Todd far left front row I think. And yes, that is David Mayer back there I think.
Also, it's not Emily C-W. It's Catherine Valcke (sp?) who was a Canadian law student.
Sheldon Richman - 12/29/2009
What a find! That is John Majewski, front right. Is Todd on the left? I think that's David Mayer, back row, right.
- The Memorial Where Slavery Is Real
- Thomas Piketty accuses Germany of forgetting history as it lectures Greece
- Greek ‘No’ May Have Its Roots in Heroic Myths and Real Resistance
- 150 years later, schools are still a battlefield for interpreting Civil War
- Where are America's memorials to pain of slavery, black resistance?
- Historian: "I don’t want my students to simply choose sides in a polemic between heritage and hate"
- Harvard’s Nancy Cott says the conservatives in the gay marriage case have a stilted idea of the history of marriage
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- How Does It Feel To Have One’s Work as a Historian Cited by the Supreme Court? Cool. Very Cool. Thank You Very Much.