Moreno on the Democratic Party
comments powered by Disqus
jack - 1/1/2010
links of london is here.links of london - This exquisite range is available from our online shop as well as free delivery on all orders– Visit us now! links of london , Pandora and Links of London is one of the best online jewelry stores. A wide selection of fine quality gold, silver and diamond including links of london Bracelet links of london Necklace
Tiffany Jewellery - 1/1/2010
Hi, where is your article?
Jeff Riggenbach - 12/13/2009
. . . for those sufficiently ignorant of American history to take it seriously at all.
Anthony Gregory - 12/12/2009
The Republicans were the party of bigger government for the second half of the 19th century. Lincoln was an economic interventionist whose policies hurt the free economy just as Democrats' policies do today. Then this article skips over the classical liberal Democrat Cleveland, the fact that Republicans were the first big Progressives (McKinley, Teddy and Taft -- who together gave us the income tax among other economically destructive policies), and the way the post-war Republican Party reclaimed the big-government, warmongering orientation that the Democrats between Wilson and Truman had stolen from the Republicans. 200 years ago the Democrats were still the party of Jefferson -- hardly perfect, but arguably less corporatist and interventionist than the Federalists and Whigs, the forefathers of the GOP. I find this article oversimplifies American history to the point of making it unclear which political philosophy it is really advocating. Over the last 200 years, the two parties dramatically shifted their emphasis in economic policy so many times that it's impossible to make a case that the Dems have been the job-killer for 200 years. Also, Bush, Greenspan and the Republicans borrowed, inflated and spent us into the current economic catastrophe. The Democrats might be worse on economics, but, to draw from the article, the GOP have been "mass murderers" of jobs -- and of people -- as well, from Lincoln to Bush II.
- 150 years later, schools are still a battlefield for interpreting Civil War
- Where are America's memorials to pain of slavery, black resistance?
- Richmond split over Confederate history
- The World's Jewish Population Is Nearing Pre-Holocaust Levels
- Bernie Sanders’s Revolutionary Roots Were Nurtured in ’60s Vermont
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- How Does It Feel To Have One’s Work as a Historian Cited by the Supreme Court? Cool. Very Cool. Thank You Very Much.
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- David Hackett Fischer wins $100,000 prize for lifetime achievement in military writing