FRIEDMAN TO GREGORY: ISLAM NEEDS A CIVIL WAR
MR. FRIEDMAN: . . . let's widen the aperture a little bit.
What's, what's been going on since 9/11?
What's been going on since 9/11 is a war within Islam, a war within this great faith community over whether, how, to what degree it should embrace modernity. That's what's actually going on. And we've been dragged into it and, and dived into it, to some degree.
There's a minority, a violent, Jihadist minority, that wants to take Islam back to the 12th century. There is a quiet, silent majority that wants to go into the future. Unfortunately, David, they need to have their own civil war. We had a civil war in this country some 150 years ago. We had some people who believed some really bad stuff. They believed we could discriminate against people because of the color of their skin. We defeated those people so badly that three generations later their offspring haven't forgotten it.
If they don't have that war within Islam, nothing changes. That's why the most important story of the week was the one Secretary of State Clinton referred to. There was a bombing in Rawalpindi Friday (see, 366 killed in 7 attacks targeting mosques in 2009. The Friday, day of prayer, week after the eve, OK? A suicide bomber walked into a mosque and blew it up in the middle of Friday prayer. Where was the mass protest in the Muslim world against that?
In Pakistan, we saw a million people take to the streets to protest Danish cartoons that insulted the profit Muhammad. Tens of people killed in a mosque, real people created in the image of God? And unless you get millions of people protesting that, saying that is haraam, that is forbidden, that is not on, there is nothing we can do to win this war.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rise of Donald Trump Tracks Growing Debate Over Global Fascism
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize