Dec 6, 2009 8:23 pm
comments powered by Disqus
New Deal Stage: Selections from the Federal Theatre Project, 1935-1939
A key component of Franklin D. Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA) were the five Federal One projects, designed to employ out-of-work artists, researchers, writers, and musicians. The Federal Theater Project (FTP) was founded on August 29, 1935, and employed 12,700 actors, directors, playwrights, designers, vaudeville artists, and stage technicians at the height of its four-year duration. It was the only time in U.S. history that the Federal government has been entirely responsible for large-scale theater production and administration. This website offers more than 13,000 items relating to the FTP, including 71 playscripts and 168 documents from the FTP's Administration Records. Extensive materials, including photographs, scripts, posters, rehearsal schedules, and set and costume designs, have been selected from three significant productions: Macbeth and The Tragic History of Dr. Faustus, directed by Orson Welles, and Arthur Arent’s Power, an example of the Project's innovative"Living Newspaper" series of topical plays. The site includes a 3,500-word background essay, as well as four illustrated articles about the Project, rendering the website useful for researchers, students and teachers alike. There are extensive browsing options, but the materials are not searchable.
Read a more in-depth review of New Deal Stage written by Lauren Rebecca Sklaroff of the University of South Carolina.
Explore additional website reviews at History Matters.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity