More Noted Things ...
Interviews: Some people keep a sense of humor, even under pressures of the job market and a telephone interview. Another Damned Medievalist isn't sure that"I give good phone." Wolfangel suggests that she try not to giggle if she's naked during the telephone interview.
Tenure -- Con and Pro: Victor Davis Hanson,"Reconsidering Tenure," Private Papers, 16 May; and Thomas C. Reeves,"Why Conservatives Should Support Tenure," HNN, 23 May. Brother Reeves still hasn't learned to do links and even Victor Davis Hanson understands the interactive capacity of the net better than Reeves, but if you just want to see two old warhorses going at it as if no one else mattered, this is a debate for you.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/24/2005
... than Hanson, but as far as I'm concerned they both missed the mark terribly. Perhaps it's the "two old warhorses" nature of the debate. Speaking of which, I added the Hanson link to Reeves' article, in my capacity as HNN Assistant Editor, as a service to our readers.
Anyway, Reeves is right about Hanson's arguments, but his own arguments in defense of tenure are pretty creaky. A little nuance, guys?
Sherman Jay Dorn - 5/23/2005
I've written elsewhere that KC is incorrect in generalizing and in blaming NCATE rather than the judgments of faculty at specific institutions (including Brooklyn College). Contrary to what some may claim, NCATE is neither a corporate lackey or an organization that mandates thought police.
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum