Just the First of Many Attempts
Lakoff absolves the Obama administration of any bad intentions never considering the possibility that the money saving suggestion might have been made in order to test reaction to state cost benefit analysis applied to health care. Rather he argues this idea is nothing to worry about, even joking that “as expected, the most radical conservatives have seen this not only as an Obama move, but have likened it to mythical ‘death panels.’” Yet, how could one call the Preventive Task Force anything other than a death panel, it recommended that 47,000 women die. The members of the team claim that cost did not enter their deliberations but as Lakoff points out the different reasons put forth are spurious. Besides expense what other motive could explain a policy that would result in so many extra fatalities?
We should not be too optimistic about the seeming defeat of this noticeably ham handed attempt to trade lives for funds. There will be further efforts because the government will have no choice as there will not be enough resources to pay for everyone’s health care. Why any rational being would want a single payer medical system when the single payer has 40 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities is beyond me.
comments powered by Disqus
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library