A priori knowledge
A.O. Scott (NYT) on Star Wars Episode III:"It's better than Star Wars." I'm sure I'll go see it, fanboy that I am, and maybe it'll even be good, but I cannot imagine it'll be as good as Scott makes it out to be. Of course, the NYT is legendarily obtuse about sci-fi (including space-operas that technically aren't sci-fi).
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/16/2005
I'm sure that Episode III is a technically better film than IV; even the acting and writing, bad as it sounds in that review, is probably better. But when you compare it to the movies around it this year and last, is it that different, as filmmaking goes, from LotR, Harry Potter, X-Men, etc? Maybe by degrees, but not by quantum leaps, the way Episode IV was in its day.
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- CIA: “Pinochet personally ordered” Letelier bombing
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history