A priori knowledge
A.O. Scott (NYT) on Star Wars Episode III:"It's better than Star Wars." I'm sure I'll go see it, fanboy that I am, and maybe it'll even be good, but I cannot imagine it'll be as good as Scott makes it out to be. Of course, the NYT is legendarily obtuse about sci-fi (including space-operas that technically aren't sci-fi).
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/16/2005
I'm sure that Episode III is a technically better film than IV; even the acting and writing, bad as it sounds in that review, is probably better. But when you compare it to the movies around it this year and last, is it that different, as filmmaking goes, from LotR, Harry Potter, X-Men, etc? Maybe by degrees, but not by quantum leaps, the way Episode IV was in its day.
- The Capture of the Lindbergh Baby Kidnapper, 80 Years Ago
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout