Fast Times at Dartmouth
comments powered by Disqus
David Timothy Beito - 5/13/2005
No doubt, this is part of the answer. Of course, for quite some time some officials at Dartmouth have claimed that they didn't even have a speech code. FIRE pointed out that they did so the administrators might have felt forced to make it official for other reasons as well.
Perhaps we are witnessing the beginning of trend in which higher ranked schools to abandon speech codes (Wisconsin is an example). If this continues, the lower ranked schools, which slavishly follow academic fads set by the top tier, may be next. There is still a long way to go, however, before we have firm evidence that this is happening.
Ralph E. Luker - 5/13/2005
David, I'm wondering if we're not getting the news in reverse order -- that is, if Dartmouth officials knew that the two insurgent candidates had won the election and, therefore, they jetisoned the speech code. I suspect that if I were an administrator at Dartmouth and knew that two additional insurgent candidates for the board had won their races, largely on the speech code issue, I might want to get that issue off the table before it became a major point of confrontation with the board.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity