Insurance Companies Want a Mandate with Teeth
That's right. The industry wants the government to force us to buy its product and to impose harsh penalties on those who refuse. The companies, which oddly are demonized by the "reform" crowd, are happy to accept all kinds of coverage rules in return for captive customers and guaranteed income.
If I may be so presumptuous as to edit Adam Smith:
People of the same trade seldom meet together with government officials, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.
comments powered by Disqus
steve - 10/13/2009
You seem to suggest that the insurance industry is at fault here. But if they are obliged to take all comers at fixed prices, they are placed in an unfavorable position without a mandate - as are those who would insure anyway. Surely the real target of our attack should be the federal government and the laws it wishes to introduce?
- From his perch in Saudi Arabia, Princeton’s Mark Cohen says Jews and Muslims should remember they used to get along
- Duke honors historian John Hope Franklin with year-long series of events
- What New Left History Gave Us
- Marcus Borg, Liberal Christian Scholar, Dies at 72
- Richard Hofstadter’s insights into the "paranoid style in American politics” lauded in the NYT