Colman McCarthy,"The Script Doesn't Change," Washington Post, 11 October, reviews Susan A. Brewer's Why America Fights: Patriotism and War Propaganda From the Philippines to Iraq. Professor Brewer was one of my students.
Jeremy Treglown,"Somerset Maugham's bondage," TLS, 7 October, reviews Selina Hastings's The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham.
Jonathan Yardley,"Beyond Omaha Beach," Washington Post, 11 October, reviews Anthony Beevor's D-Day: The Battle for Normandy.
Peter Spiegel and Jonathan Weisman,"Behind Afghan War Debate, a Battle of Two Books Rages," WSJ, 7 October, explores conflicting advice offered by Gordon M. Goldstein's Lessons in Disaster: McGeorge Bundy and the Path to War in Vietnam and Lewis Sorley's A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam.
Finally, David Kurtz,"He Had A Dream," Talking Points Memo, 9 October, looks at the NAACP's press release congratulating President Obama on the award of the Nobel Prize. The release takes note of the distinguished company in which the award places Obama. Oddly, however, it doesn't mention Martin Luther King, Jr., to whom he is more closely related than any other Nobel Prize winner. Thanks to Manan Ahmed and Jonathan Dresner for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity