Peace Prize? Seriously?
comments powered by Disqus
Orson Olson - 10/9/2009
I emailed my thanks to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee for providing good humor for Americans. More satirical fodder for SNL!
Seriously, I also emailed them this joke: What do Vidkud Quisling and Barack Obama now have in common? Norway, and bringing fascism to their nations!
More serious analysis come from a Norwegian - Lene Johansen former CEI Warren T. Brookes Journalism fellow - now resident in Philadelphia, birthplace of the Constitution, and covered Norway’s view of the last US election.
Johansen says this choice is causing great consternation in the country because of Obama’s lack of any track record.
But it means two thing: first, a quest for grand international visibility, seen since 2007 when Vice President Al Gore and the IPCC were honored. And second, envy that the US was finally joining Europe and moving Left.
”Europe and Norway was suffering from an Obama fever that only could be matched by the U.S. fever right around Election Day. The love affair still persists among the political class, because they admire the political craftsmanship of his campaign. This might be the official “world” endorsement of Obama’s presidency; since they still are sore they could not vote in the U.S. election. Europeans also adore Obama for shifting the U.S. political focus to the left. ”
It is telling that Norway barely makes it to the ”Free” category in the Economic Freedom Index
The Peace Prize was given to the Norwegian Parliament because, at that time, before independence from Sweden, Norway had no foreign policy - and thus could be ’neutral.’ Any hope that their descendants have upheld this noble trust has clearly evaporated.
How ironic that a "Peacee Prize" goes to a leader who has brought incipient civil war home.
Keith Halderman - 10/9/2009
Let us face it, the Nobel prizes aren't what they used to be. First that idiot Keynesian Paul Krugman wins for economics and now this travesty.
Sheldon Richman - 10/9/2009
It is not being universally applauded. See this.
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening