Peace Prize? Seriously?
comments powered by Disqus
Orson Olson - 10/9/2009
I emailed my thanks to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee for providing good humor for Americans. More satirical fodder for SNL!
Seriously, I also emailed them this joke: What do Vidkud Quisling and Barack Obama now have in common? Norway, and bringing fascism to their nations!
More serious analysis come from a Norwegian - Lene Johansen former CEI Warren T. Brookes Journalism fellow - now resident in Philadelphia, birthplace of the Constitution, and covered Norway’s view of the last US election.
Johansen says this choice is causing great consternation in the country because of Obama’s lack of any track record.
But it means two thing: first, a quest for grand international visibility, seen since 2007 when Vice President Al Gore and the IPCC were honored. And second, envy that the US was finally joining Europe and moving Left.
”Europe and Norway was suffering from an Obama fever that only could be matched by the U.S. fever right around Election Day. The love affair still persists among the political class, because they admire the political craftsmanship of his campaign. This might be the official “world” endorsement of Obama’s presidency; since they still are sore they could not vote in the U.S. election. Europeans also adore Obama for shifting the U.S. political focus to the left. ”
It is telling that Norway barely makes it to the ”Free” category in the Economic Freedom Index
The Peace Prize was given to the Norwegian Parliament because, at that time, before independence from Sweden, Norway had no foreign policy - and thus could be ’neutral.’ Any hope that their descendants have upheld this noble trust has clearly evaporated.
How ironic that a "Peacee Prize" goes to a leader who has brought incipient civil war home.
Keith Halderman - 10/9/2009
Let us face it, the Nobel prizes aren't what they used to be. First that idiot Keynesian Paul Krugman wins for economics and now this travesty.
Sheldon Richman - 10/9/2009
It is not being universally applauded. See this.
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”