Peace Prize? Seriously?
comments powered by Disqus
Orson Olson - 10/9/2009
I emailed my thanks to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee for providing good humor for Americans. More satirical fodder for SNL!
Seriously, I also emailed them this joke: What do Vidkud Quisling and Barack Obama now have in common? Norway, and bringing fascism to their nations!
More serious analysis come from a Norwegian - Lene Johansen former CEI Warren T. Brookes Journalism fellow - now resident in Philadelphia, birthplace of the Constitution, and covered Norway’s view of the last US election.
Johansen says this choice is causing great consternation in the country because of Obama’s lack of any track record.
But it means two thing: first, a quest for grand international visibility, seen since 2007 when Vice President Al Gore and the IPCC were honored. And second, envy that the US was finally joining Europe and moving Left.
”Europe and Norway was suffering from an Obama fever that only could be matched by the U.S. fever right around Election Day. The love affair still persists among the political class, because they admire the political craftsmanship of his campaign. This might be the official “world” endorsement of Obama’s presidency; since they still are sore they could not vote in the U.S. election. Europeans also adore Obama for shifting the U.S. political focus to the left. ”
It is telling that Norway barely makes it to the ”Free” category in the Economic Freedom Index
The Peace Prize was given to the Norwegian Parliament because, at that time, before independence from Sweden, Norway had no foreign policy - and thus could be ’neutral.’ Any hope that their descendants have upheld this noble trust has clearly evaporated.
How ironic that a "Peacee Prize" goes to a leader who has brought incipient civil war home.
Keith Halderman - 10/9/2009
Let us face it, the Nobel prizes aren't what they used to be. First that idiot Keynesian Paul Krugman wins for economics and now this travesty.
Sheldon Richman - 10/9/2009
It is not being universally applauded. See this.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Expressing Outrage over Attacks on Cultural Heritage of Iraq, General Assembly Unanimously Adopts Resolution Calling for Urgent Action
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- Moving Photographs of Japanese American Internees, Then and Now
- A One-of-a-Kind Trove Reveals What 19th-Century American Boyhood Was Really Like
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize