Modern History Notes
Stephen Budiansky,"Rising Up Against a Rich Man's War," Washington Post, 27 September, reviews Sally Jenkins's and John Stauffer's The State of Jones: The Small Southern County That Seceded From the Confederacy.
Alan M. Dershowitz,"The Practice," NYT, 25 September, reviews Melvin I. Urofsky's Louis D. Brandeis: A Life.
Adam Begley,"Side By Side," NYT, 25 September, reviews Morris Dickstein's Dancing in the Dark: A Cultural History of the Great Depression.
Jonathan Yardley,"Tracking Nazi Loot," Washington Post, 27 September, reviews The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel with Bret Witter.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hull of Confederate Submarine H.L. Hunley Found 150 Years Later
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Ronald Suny says historians have shied away from exploring the roots of the Armenian genocide for fear of taking attention away from the victims
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History