Some Noted Things ...
Ah, the Irony of It: Scott McLemee's"Isn't It Ironic?" Inside Higher Ed, 5 May, asks whether irony is dead or we must redefine the word in ways that have nothing to do with irony.
Alas, the Master's degree: Philip M. Katz,"Retrieving the Master's Degree from the Dustbin of History: A Report to the Members of the American Historical Association," (pdf) 31 October 2004. Scott Jaschik,"Avoiding the ‘Dustbin of History'," Inside Higher Ed, 5 May, looks at the AHA's working draft of its report on the weaknesses in current M. A. programs in history and what our minimal expectations of them should be.
But We Know How Not Do It: Mary Grey and Barbara R. Bergmann,"Student Teaching Evaluations: Inaccurate, Demeaning, Misused," Academe. The message is in the sub-title. Thanks to Margaret Soltan at University Diaries for the tip.
Historically Speaking: Here are excerpts from The Historical Society's Historically Speaking for April/May. Notably, it features symposia on War Myths, featuring John Mosier, Victor Davis Hanson, Dennis Showalter, and John Corum; and on Early American History, featuring Pauline Maier, Edward Gray, Don Higginbotham, Peter Onuf, Paul Rahe, and Jack Rakov.
comments powered by Disqus
Philip Mark Katz - 5/13/2005
Please note that the draft version of the report available online differs slightly from the published version, which has just become available from the AHA. Most of the changes involved formatting or minor copy-editing. We are working to get a version of the final text on the AHA website. In the meantime, read the older version online (or buy a copy of the pamphlet!), but please cite the final version only. Thanks!
PS -- I'd be thrilled to hear any individual reactions you don't want to post in public.
Ralph E. Luker - 5/6/2005
Thanks. I've corrected the link now.
Whitney Sprague - 5/6/2005
The Katz report seems to not be at the link given...
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"