Joe Wilson to David Frum, "You lie!"
George W. Bush took a lot of criticism for cutting taxes at the beginning of the prior administration's wars. What are we to say about President Obama cutting military spending at the beginning of his?
This is simply untrue and Frum has to know it. The conservative claim that Obama" cut" the military was put to rest months ago, or should have been. Obama's current military budget is actually higher than Bush's last one and he has increased the size of total active duty forces. See here and here.
If Frum is intentionally keeping these facts secret from his fellow conservatives, however, it appears that few of them care.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan J. Bean - 9/18/2009
opposing overseas expansion
Unfortunately, this was not always true. Don't forget about "Madison's War" and Andrew Jackson's saber-rattling.
Clay Barham - 9/17/2009
THE CHANGING FACE OF DEMOCRATS and the loss of our Libertarian Roots is the subject of a new book by Clay Barham on the history of the Democratic Party. America’s first major political Party evolved drastically over the past 200 years—from a libertarian party to a Rousseau to Marx-leaning liberal, left-wing party. The Democratic Party’s original ideals encouraged a free market, individual freedom, business interests, opposing overseas expansion, and supporting state’s rights and personal sovereignty. What happened? When and how did their policies begin to change? Why did a strongly patriotic party morph into one that blends communism, mercantilism and socialism? Whether you are Democrat or Republican, this narration is a study of history, fact, and the leadership that altered the Democratic Party. It shows that present day Democratic values do not reflect the true principles on which American society rests. www.claysamerica.com.
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed