David's Money/David's Facts ...
But the article corrects some errors that I've made in posts at Cliopatria and I want to correct them. Several months ago, I reported that Horowitz was paying himself $179,000 a year to do what he does. I thought then that, given his limitations, $179,000 was way beyond his due. Given the unreliability of information posted at his site, I suggested that he give himself a salary cut and hire some fact-checkers to give what is published at Front Page Rag some credibility. Well, I apparently vastly understated David's self-generosity. Jacobson reports Horowitz's salary in 2003 at $310,167. Add to that the $5,000 he charges for each of 30 to 40 demogogic speeches a year and you're closer to his annual income. The book royalties would be modest and, apparently, he hasn't seen anything yet on film rights to his life story.
But, incidentally, I want to add a note about the poison Horowitz and Front Page Rag are to well-meaning academics who give them any credibility. I have defended and will continue to defend Jonathan Bean's prerogative of assigning James Lubinskas's article,"Remembering the Zebra Killings," from Horowitz's Front Page Rag as supplementary reading in his class at Southern Illinois University. As the discussions here at Cliopatria and at Inside Higher Ed have made clear, Lubinskas's article exaggerated the number of killings by a factor of 5. You could have a very smart discussion with undergraduates about the necessity of interrogating lies of that magnitude. But, for g_d sakes, David, give yourself a salary cut and hire some fact checkers!
comments powered by Disqus
Graham Larkin - 5/4/2005
Horowitz would make a terrific South Park character. Especially if his head exploded in the final scene.
Ralph E. Luker - 5/4/2005
I haven't seen "Motorcycle Diaries" and, given your recommendation about it, I probably won't. Horowitz, a department chair at Harvard, an editor at the New York Times, subject of a movie -- you've _got_ to be kidding, Jason.
Jason Nelson - 5/4/2005
I think if he was a leftist it would be a movie. See motorcycle diaries(terrible movie).
Concerning egos, we all have them. Im sure you would agree.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity