MAGNANIMOUS, SMART 1930s TURKEY
When the Jews were evicted from Spain, they were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire. Their contribution has convinced the rulers of Anatolia that well educated Jews can be an asset. So, it should not be a surprise that unlike most of the world, Turkey most eager to modernize the country, was smart enough to welcome yet another stream of knowledgeable Jews. It was a true win win initiative of which the Turks can be most proud and us, Jews, eternally grateful. Arnold Reisman documentsTurkey’s Invitations to Nazi-Persecuted Intellectuals Circa 1933: A Bibliographic Essay on History’s Blind Spot. It is well worth savoring.
comments powered by Disqus
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- $35 million Book of Mormon manuscript sale called the ‘biggest game-changer in Mormon history’
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.