MAGNANIMOUS, SMART 1930s TURKEY
When the Jews were evicted from Spain, they were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire. Their contribution has convinced the rulers of Anatolia that well educated Jews can be an asset. So, it should not be a surprise that unlike most of the world, Turkey most eager to modernize the country, was smart enough to welcome yet another stream of knowledgeable Jews. It was a true win win initiative of which the Turks can be most proud and us, Jews, eternally grateful. Arnold Reisman documentsTurkey’s Invitations to Nazi-Persecuted Intellectuals Circa 1933: A Bibliographic Essay on History’s Blind Spot. It is well worth savoring.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita