MAGNANIMOUS, SMART 1930s TURKEY
When the Jews were evicted from Spain, they were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire. Their contribution has convinced the rulers of Anatolia that well educated Jews can be an asset. So, it should not be a surprise that unlike most of the world, Turkey most eager to modernize the country, was smart enough to welcome yet another stream of knowledgeable Jews. It was a true win win initiative of which the Turks can be most proud and us, Jews, eternally grateful. Arnold Reisman documentsTurkey’s Invitations to Nazi-Persecuted Intellectuals Circa 1933: A Bibliographic Essay on History’s Blind Spot. It is well worth savoring.
comments powered by Disqus
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Thousands Of FBI Documents About Civil Rights Era Destroyed By Flooding
- Ancient Egyptian Woman with 70 Hair Extensions Discovered
- Europeans drawn from three ancient 'tribes'
- Conservatives press the case against the new AP framework for US history
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead