Tierney on a roll
comments powered by Disqus
Lisa Casanova - 4/27/2005
You'll get no argument from me. Just out of curiosity, have you come up with a response to convince people who believe that Social Security cured poverty among the elderly and is the only thing that keeps it from returning? I have discussed this with well-meaning friends who are truly horrified by the dire straits they believe the American elderly would be in if not for SS. They can't believe I would really advocate a world without it, since nothing would stand between my grandma and destitution (except me and the fact that I would take care of her, but then they just think I'm some rare exception).
M.D. Fulwiler - 4/26/2005
I would prefer this system to our system, but it's still forced savings. Social Security needs to be phased out with ~nothing~ put in its place.
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily