More Noted Things
"A very special business angel," Economist, 13 August, and Dwight Garner,"Fox Hunter, Party Animal, Leftist Warrior," NYT, 18 August, review Tristram Hunt's Marx's General: The Revolutionary Life of Friedrich Engels.
Patricia Cohen,"A Pivotal Year and a Springboard to the '60s," NYT, 17 August, reviews Fred Kaplan's 1959: The Year Everything Changed.
Janet Maslin,"On American Shores, a Wave of Immigrants Smuggled in From China," NYT, 16 August, reviews Patrick Radden Keefe's The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream.
Orlando Patterson,"Race and Diversity in the Age of Obama," NYT, 14 August, finds African Americans as segregated as ever in American private life.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- Nell Irvin Painter tells NY Magazine Americans need to stop thinking of the working class as white
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85