I have a special place in my heart for the Baha'i. I grew up down the block from their gorgeous Haifa shrine and often visited their amazing gardens on Saturdays. The Muslims consider them apostates and they are badly persecuted in Iran.
This week they won their battle to be permitted to register as not Muslims, Christians of Jews in Egypt. The debate that preceded that achievement should be of interest:
Transcript to be found here
comments powered by Disqus
- Rise of Donald Trump Tracks Growing Debate Over Global Fascism
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize