But what really pissed me off was something more subtle. In describing what sort of program they might do, they wanted to include a former/recovering drug user of college age to talk about his/her experience. Okay fine. But they kept referring to this person as"the victim!" Not"the addict," which has problems of its own, nor even the"former user" or"former abuser" but the"victim." It was all I could do not to leap out of my seat and yell at these people:
"They're only victims because of YOU bastards!!"
The rhetorical power of calling a former user a"victim" is just fascinating. Then, of course, the DEA is just saving victims all over the place. It would have been rude of me to ask"if they are victims, who has victimized them? Please point to the person or people who harmed them." Of course the answer will be those evil drug peddlers... as if"victims" are helpless robots in the face of illegal drugs.
Not a good day. Not a good day at all.
comments powered by Disqus
Keith Halderman - 4/1/2005
If you want to get rid of those DEA agents just tell them that you want to put someone from a drug reform organization on the program too. They will instantly evaporate. I have been scheduled to debate various government employees on the war on people who use certain kinds of drugs three different times, All three times they were no shows.
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges