AHMADINEJAD INAGURATED, PROTEST UNABATED
Ahmadinejad sworn in but as the Economist notes, the battle is far from over BECAUSE the Iranian people refues to be silenced.
Not wishing to alienate the Iranian population (which is mad as is) France, Britain, Italy and Germany have decided not to congratulate Ahmadinejad on his re-election and EVEN the Obama administration has decide to eat its words:
THE White House performed an embarrassing retreat yesterday, withdrawing its description of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as Iran's"elected leader" the day after he was sworn in for his second term.
"Let me correct a little bit what I said yesterday," Robert Gibbs, President Barack Obama's spokesman, said as thousands of Iranian riot police beat back protesters outside the inauguration ceremony in Tehran.
"Whether any election was fair ... we'll let (the Iranian people) decide about that."
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made further amends for an error that reflected the West's dilemma as it seeks to engage with Iran's new government over its nuclear program.
She expressed admiration for the opposition's" continuing resistance" to what was widely regarded as a fraudulent election and the brutal crackdown that followed.
As everybody in the know know, she has been well muzzled, her words means she got permission to talk.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges