No Need to Rewrite the Whole Story
To demonstrate these parallels, I took a number of passages from Karp's text and replaced the original persons, places, and dates with those pertinent to the present war, retaining the basic story line. The results appear in "Plus Ça Change . . . A Template for the U.S. War in Iraq," and "In Seeking War, George W. Bush Held True to Form."
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 3/25/2005
I completely agree with Bill. Karp's Politics of War is an excellent analysis of the period. Trenchant, honest and clearly written.
I'm amazed at how well Higg's dropping in current leadership names and actions fit perfectly within Karp's mold. And sad, too, that the U.S. has blindly repeated the same foolishness over again.
Perhaps we need a new Cabinet member, dressed up in a clown suit--a Jokester, who will remind the others of idiocy and laugh at pompous fools basking in the light of their new-found glory. Perhaps the Jokester could remind them of reality.
Just a thought.
William Marina - 3/24/2005
I agree about what a fine book Karp wrote. I reviewed it in Reason magazine in 1980. The title, The Politics of War, was the title of a chapter in his earleir book, Indispensable Enemies: The Politics of Misrule in America (1973), about the corruption of the party system.
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- Trump will get more GOP primary votes than anyone in history (because more people are voting)
- Labour Party suspends former Mayor of London for implying Hitler supported Zionism
- At Virginia home of President Monroe, a sizable revision of history
- Thirty Years After Chernobyl, Debate Rages About Nuclear Power
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"
- Former secretary of state Henry Kissinger discusses his controversial career
- Annette Gordon-Reed subjects herself to Reddit, the “anything-goes” social media website
- Historian Nick Turse says the Pentagon has blacklisted him for making multiple FOIA requests