No Need to Rewrite the Whole Story
To demonstrate these parallels, I took a number of passages from Karp's text and replaced the original persons, places, and dates with those pertinent to the present war, retaining the basic story line. The results appear in "Plus Ça Change . . . A Template for the U.S. War in Iraq," and "In Seeking War, George W. Bush Held True to Form."
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 3/25/2005
I completely agree with Bill. Karp's Politics of War is an excellent analysis of the period. Trenchant, honest and clearly written.
I'm amazed at how well Higg's dropping in current leadership names and actions fit perfectly within Karp's mold. And sad, too, that the U.S. has blindly repeated the same foolishness over again.
Perhaps we need a new Cabinet member, dressed up in a clown suit--a Jokester, who will remind the others of idiocy and laugh at pompous fools basking in the light of their new-found glory. Perhaps the Jokester could remind them of reality.
Just a thought.
William Marina - 3/24/2005
I agree about what a fine book Karp wrote. I reviewed it in Reason magazine in 1980. The title, The Politics of War, was the title of a chapter in his earleir book, Indispensable Enemies: The Politics of Misrule in America (1973), about the corruption of the party system.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity