Juan Cole Smeared by Bogus Quotation?
In a New York Times editorial, [Juan] Cole said that he saw the elections in Syria as a model for other Arab countries to follow: “The last thing the Arab people need is a red herring like ‘free and open elections’ to distract them from the international Zionist/Neo-Con conspiracy to take their oil.” Professor Cole then added that President Assad’s ability to gain such a high percentage of the vote “all the while maintaining an oligarchic cult of personality oppressive regime mired in nepotism and corruption” was “truly impressive” and a positive sign of “Arab solidarity.”
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 3/23/2005
Can I protest on behalf of lemurs: - associating decent animals with what Plaut did!
Matt Barganier - 3/23/2005
As soon as I read it, I Googled it and searched the Times' archives. The Plaut article is full of other gross distortions and outright lies, but I was astonished that in this case, the author seemed genuinely taken in by such a piss-poor parody.
Jesse Walker - 3/23/2005
That quote isn't just fake -- it's a fake so obvious that a retarded lemur could see through it.
M.D. Fulwiler - 3/23/2005
What a pathetic publication.
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide