Juan Cole Smeared by Bogus Quotation?
In a New York Times editorial, [Juan] Cole said that he saw the elections in Syria as a model for other Arab countries to follow: “The last thing the Arab people need is a red herring like ‘free and open elections’ to distract them from the international Zionist/Neo-Con conspiracy to take their oil.” Professor Cole then added that President Assad’s ability to gain such a high percentage of the vote “all the while maintaining an oligarchic cult of personality oppressive regime mired in nepotism and corruption” was “truly impressive” and a positive sign of “Arab solidarity.”
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 3/24/2005
Can I protest on behalf of lemurs: - associating decent animals with what Plaut did!
Matt Barganier - 3/23/2005
As soon as I read it, I Googled it and searched the Times' archives. The Plaut article is full of other gross distortions and outright lies, but I was astonished that in this case, the author seemed genuinely taken in by such a piss-poor parody.
Jesse Walker - 3/23/2005
That quote isn't just fake -- it's a fake so obvious that a retarded lemur could see through it.
M.D. Fulwiler - 3/23/2005
What a pathetic publication.
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library