Who Said This
Anthony D. Romero current Executive Director of the ACLU.
When I was a teenager one of my favortite programs was the Firing Line Debates hosted by William F. Buckley. The only time I ever disagreed with him was on the question of whether the ACLU did more harm than good. Now, I know that the ACLU is a far from perfect organization. But I firmly believe they do far more good (see here) than harm and I offer the above quote as a part of my justification for that position.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 8/1/2009
Despite its problems, I've always had a soft spot for the ACLU. When Carter imposed draft registration, the Minnesota libertarians worked closely with them and always found them to be sensible. In fact, the local head of ACLU warned against working with the hard-left organizations on campus, warning that they could not be trusted. He also very much wanted to recruit conservatives who were anti-draft.
pacific_waters - 7/31/2009
Nice words but the proof is in what he construes to be injustice
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- Hofstra Event Looks at Bush Presidency
- Did Israel steal uranium from a town in Pennsylvania in the 1960s?
- Sequel to Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom to be published next year
- Emory’s Leslie Harris says we should remember the racist roots of American colleges as we think about what went wrong at OU and other schools
- Stanford historian looks to the U.S. Postal Service to map the boom and bust of 19th-century American West
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library
- History Camp "unconference" returns for the second year in Boston