I'd be tempted to blame the media here, but I think it's the fault of too many libertarians who are, unfortunately, too comfortable with the"pro-choice Republican" label, precisely because it fits. When libertarians who feel comfortable with the GOP are going to wake up and smell the imperialism, Keynesianism, and theology remains a good question.
UPDATE: At least the WSJ author was trying to be funny. As Lisa points out in the comments, this author on the HNN main page was not. I think the notion of President Bush as having any libertarian leanings is the funniest thing I've heard all month. The guy who has presided over increases in both the welfare and the warfare state? Is that the guy we're talking about? Yeesh.
comments powered by Disqus
Max Swing - 3/15/2005
Obviously the author doesn't support the Libertarian movement or his highly sceptical. He categorizes some issues right, others a bit "short".
But it is interesting to see an article by someone not "in" the movement, that is more to the truth than many others..
Lisa Casanova - 3/15/2005
Check out the HNN main page article on Social Security. Betcha didn't know George Bush was a libertarian!
Roderick T. Long - 3/15/2005
One of the definitions of "libertarian" in the article was "A conservative with an unhealthy preoccupation with sex."
Who knew that Jerry Falwell, Rick Santorum, Roy Moore et al. were libertarians?
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy