I'd be tempted to blame the media here, but I think it's the fault of too many libertarians who are, unfortunately, too comfortable with the"pro-choice Republican" label, precisely because it fits. When libertarians who feel comfortable with the GOP are going to wake up and smell the imperialism, Keynesianism, and theology remains a good question.
UPDATE: At least the WSJ author was trying to be funny. As Lisa points out in the comments, this author on the HNN main page was not. I think the notion of President Bush as having any libertarian leanings is the funniest thing I've heard all month. The guy who has presided over increases in both the welfare and the warfare state? Is that the guy we're talking about? Yeesh.
comments powered by Disqus
Max Swing - 3/15/2005
Obviously the author doesn't support the Libertarian movement or his highly sceptical. He categorizes some issues right, others a bit "short".
But it is interesting to see an article by someone not "in" the movement, that is more to the truth than many others..
Lisa Casanova - 3/15/2005
Check out the HNN main page article on Social Security. Betcha didn't know George Bush was a libertarian!
Roderick T. Long - 3/15/2005
One of the definitions of "libertarian" in the article was "A conservative with an unhealthy preoccupation with sex."
Who knew that Jerry Falwell, Rick Santorum, Roy Moore et al. were libertarians?
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"