I'd be tempted to blame the media here, but I think it's the fault of too many libertarians who are, unfortunately, too comfortable with the"pro-choice Republican" label, precisely because it fits. When libertarians who feel comfortable with the GOP are going to wake up and smell the imperialism, Keynesianism, and theology remains a good question.
UPDATE: At least the WSJ author was trying to be funny. As Lisa points out in the comments, this author on the HNN main page was not. I think the notion of President Bush as having any libertarian leanings is the funniest thing I've heard all month. The guy who has presided over increases in both the welfare and the warfare state? Is that the guy we're talking about? Yeesh.
comments powered by Disqus
Max Swing - 3/15/2005
Obviously the author doesn't support the Libertarian movement or his highly sceptical. He categorizes some issues right, others a bit "short".
But it is interesting to see an article by someone not "in" the movement, that is more to the truth than many others..
Lisa Casanova - 3/15/2005
Check out the HNN main page article on Social Security. Betcha didn't know George Bush was a libertarian!
Roderick T. Long - 3/15/2005
One of the definitions of "libertarian" in the article was "A conservative with an unhealthy preoccupation with sex."
Who knew that Jerry Falwell, Rick Santorum, Roy Moore et al. were libertarians?
- Now it’s the University of Louisville’s turn to remove a Confederate statue
- A fortress built by Alexander the Great after he conquered Jerusalem has been discovered
- Yale students protest decision to keep Calhoun’s name
- Six maps that will make you rethink the world
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- The historian and cartographer Bill Rankin has developed a new way to visualize slavery
- Paula S. Fass says young Americans need required national service
- Historians are now trying to show that the gay revolution also took place in the midwest
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"