I'd be tempted to blame the media here, but I think it's the fault of too many libertarians who are, unfortunately, too comfortable with the"pro-choice Republican" label, precisely because it fits. When libertarians who feel comfortable with the GOP are going to wake up and smell the imperialism, Keynesianism, and theology remains a good question.
UPDATE: At least the WSJ author was trying to be funny. As Lisa points out in the comments, this author on the HNN main page was not. I think the notion of President Bush as having any libertarian leanings is the funniest thing I've heard all month. The guy who has presided over increases in both the welfare and the warfare state? Is that the guy we're talking about? Yeesh.
comments powered by Disqus
Max Swing - 3/15/2005
Obviously the author doesn't support the Libertarian movement or his highly sceptical. He categorizes some issues right, others a bit "short".
But it is interesting to see an article by someone not "in" the movement, that is more to the truth than many others..
Lisa Casanova - 3/15/2005
Check out the HNN main page article on Social Security. Betcha didn't know George Bush was a libertarian!
Roderick T. Long - 3/15/2005
One of the definitions of "libertarian" in the article was "A conservative with an unhealthy preoccupation with sex."
Who knew that Jerry Falwell, Rick Santorum, Roy Moore et al. were libertarians?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit