What Obama Should Have Said About the Gates Arrest
Of course, had Obama done this, it might also interfere with the discretion of federal law enforcement officers under his authority to do the same thing.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 7/26/2009
dg lesvic - 7/26/2009
Congratulations. That's the first intelligent commentary I have seen on this whole disgusting incident.
David T. Beito - 7/25/2009
Good point...but it would have made more sense not to bring up the second part at all. By doing so, he shifted the focus from where it should have been: the general issue of police abuse.
Jonathan Dresner - 7/24/2009
"I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact."
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum