Putin's Version of the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939
From the London Financial Times (2-25-05):
US president George W. Bush promised to relay the concerns of the three Baltic states to Vladimir Putin, his Russian counterpart, at their summit in Bratislava yesterday.
Putin himself added to those concerns in an interview with Slovak radio this week in which he offered an inventive interpretation of the Nazi-Soviet pact of 1939, which agreed Russia should annex Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
Putin claimed that the Soviet Union signed the pact to "safeguard its interests and security of its western borders" after the western powers had allowed Germany to occupy part of Czechoslovakia under the 1938 Munich agreement. "If we look at the problem in this context, it looks quite different," he said.
Not to Lithuania. "The protection of one's interests may not serve as an excuse for annexation of another sovereign country," said its foreign ministry yesterday. It also noted that the USSR's legislature declared the secret annexation protocols void in 1989.
Is that what Putin was referring to when he said: "I would recommend new historians, or rather those who want to rewrite history, to learn to read books before they rewrite or write them?" The Baltics hope not.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity