Jon Stewart's Short-Term Memory
Stewart should know better than to call the game in the 3rd inning. He did after all write a history book of sorts. And if he can't take a broader, deeper, more historical perspective, what hope is there that his viewers can?
And if his viewers can't what hope is there that the millions who don't watch his show, the smartest on TV--can?
Update: Over on Richard Jensen's list I came across an observation by Alonzo Hamby that is apropos:
"[T]riumphalism is premature because we have not triumphed yet!"
comments powered by Disqus
John H. Lederer - 3/7/2005
"And I would add that the emphasis on freedom as an explanation of the war was something of an afterthought. "
That is why they called it "Operation Iraqi Something Other Than Freedom"
HNN - 3/6/2005
And I would add that the emphasis on freedom as an explanation of the war was something of an afterthought.
Bush did not take us to war in 2003 to establish democracy in the Middle East.
It is conveneient now to support democracy in the Middle East--but only in certain countries.
Saudi Arabia is hardly being leaned on to become more democratic, for example.
Jonathan Dresner - 3/4/2005
First, the question of what it means to be "right"... sure, democracy is a good thing, but what kind of democracy is going to result from regimes destabilized in a climate of fear? What kind of democracy is going to result when the most organized and popular non-state movements are fundamentalist?
Second, I'd like Bush and friends to be right, but even if they succeed (and defining that will be interesting) it doesn't mean that it all redounds to their credit. There are long-term issues, as you point out, that explain their successes as much as they explain the odds that their successes will be short-lived.
- Number of women leaders around the world has grown, but they’re still a small group
- Say goodbye to the weirdest border dispute in the world
- Harvard acquires Thoreau's notes on the death of Margaret Fuller
- It’s a national historic site, but hardly anybody visits the Idaho internment camp where thousands of Japanese Americans were incarcerated in WW II
- Big-time Hollywood director makes a movie about Stonewall
- Richard Rothstein says government policy created ghettos
- The Islamic historian who can explain why some states fail and others succeed
- High school senior credited with debunking book by Professor Richard Jensen
- Historians at loggerheads over the AP standards
- Bettany Hughes interview: The historian on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems