Is It Drafty In Here?
Leaders of the Church of the Brethren say they will follow through on a request from the Selective Service to have"alternative service" programs in place for conscientious objectors if a draft is reinstated.I love it when an official from the Selective Service drops by for tea.
As one of the historic"peace churches" that shun military service, Brethren officials were" cautious" after an unannounced visit by a draft official to a church center in Maryland last October. Officials were worried that the visit signaled that a draft may be at hand.
In follow-up meetings, draft officials urged the church to dust off long-standing"alternative service" programs that allow conscientious objectors to serve in two-year domestic service projects in lieu of military service. [...]
Selective Service officials have insisted there are no plans to reinstate the draft, and said Alternative Service Director Cassandra Costley stopped by the Brethren Service Center simply because she was in the area.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools