A case in point is in yesterday's New York Times Magazine, in the article"The Therapeutic Mind Scan" by Paul Raeburn, who laments that most psychiatrists diagnose mental illnesses without examining their patients' brains, but reports hopefully on one exception, Daniel G. Amen, who uses single photon emission computed tomography to scan the brains of his patients. Raeburn is the author of Acquainted With the Night, which the Times says is"a memoir of raising children who have depression and bipolar disorder."
"If scanners could uncover the signs of distinct mental illnesses in the soft folds of the brain, the way X-rays can reveal a tumor, and monitor treatment effectiveness, they would revolutionize psychiatry."
Cross-posted at The Szasz Blog.
comments powered by Disqus
Sheldon Richman - 2/22/2005
No problem, and point well taken. I'm a Thompson fan from way back. I read him when I was a young newspaperman and was never the same. Thompson reminds me of an aphorism of Karl Kraus, who was the Thomas Szasz of his day. Kraus said something to this effect: The journalist is like the prostitute in that neither is supposed to show any feelings. The difference is that the prostitute actually has feelings. By that definition, Thompson was not a journalist. Whatever you want to call him, he was something remarkable and unique.
chris l pettit - 2/22/2005
THis is out of place...but I saw it this morning and thought it was fitting...and interesting how they categorize the great journalist. Please excuse the fact that I post it here instead of somewhere more fitting. Long live Hunter S...
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize