A case in point is in yesterday's New York Times Magazine, in the article"The Therapeutic Mind Scan" by Paul Raeburn, who laments that most psychiatrists diagnose mental illnesses without examining their patients' brains, but reports hopefully on one exception, Daniel G. Amen, who uses single photon emission computed tomography to scan the brains of his patients. Raeburn is the author of Acquainted With the Night, which the Times says is"a memoir of raising children who have depression and bipolar disorder."
"If scanners could uncover the signs of distinct mental illnesses in the soft folds of the brain, the way X-rays can reveal a tumor, and monitor treatment effectiveness, they would revolutionize psychiatry."
Cross-posted at The Szasz Blog.
comments powered by Disqus
Sheldon Richman - 2/22/2005
No problem, and point well taken. I'm a Thompson fan from way back. I read him when I was a young newspaperman and was never the same. Thompson reminds me of an aphorism of Karl Kraus, who was the Thomas Szasz of his day. Kraus said something to this effect: The journalist is like the prostitute in that neither is supposed to show any feelings. The difference is that the prostitute actually has feelings. By that definition, Thompson was not a journalist. Whatever you want to call him, he was something remarkable and unique.
chris l pettit - 2/22/2005
THis is out of place...but I saw it this morning and thought it was fitting...and interesting how they categorize the great journalist. Please excuse the fact that I post it here instead of somewhere more fitting. Long live Hunter S...
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity