Recommended Reading ...
Hilary Andersson,"Born To Be a Slave in Niger," BBC. 11 Feb. Although slavery was outlawed last year in Niger, slaves are eight percent of its population. Andersson introduces you to Assibit and Fatima, who inherited their status as slaves.
Andrew Meier,"Burnt Offerings," Financial Times, 19 Feb. On the Tulsa, Oklahoma, race riot of 1921 and the current legal struggle for reparations. Thanks to Chris Bertram at Crooked Timber for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- Harvard's Steven Shapin Wins History of Science Award
- Middle East Studies Association Fights a Rising Tide of Critics
- Juan Cole says the postwar Middle East governments were modeled on the Soviet Union, though not communist (interview)
- Ted Widmer picks the 5 best presidential books worth reading
- AHA backs California's LGBT History law