Recommended Reading ...
Hilary Andersson,"Born To Be a Slave in Niger," BBC. 11 Feb. Although slavery was outlawed last year in Niger, slaves are eight percent of its population. Andersson introduces you to Assibit and Fatima, who inherited their status as slaves.
Andrew Meier,"Burnt Offerings," Financial Times, 19 Feb. On the Tulsa, Oklahoma, race riot of 1921 and the current legal struggle for reparations. Thanks to Chris Bertram at Crooked Timber for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis