As you were.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 2/8/2005
There is no better term for the position that we hold, and there has been none to date. I would always prefer "liberal" to "libertarian" or even "classical liberal".
As more statists are using the term "progressive" here in the U.S., it encourages me in my own use of "liberal." As it is, it has become easier to make this point when I use the term "classical liberal," as this is a beginning point in making the case for liberalism.
I cannot imagine the LP changing into the "Liberal Party" but it certainly would take common usage of "liberal" into a national dialogue, both within libertarian circles and in common English language again.
Just a thought.
Sheldon Richman - 2/8/2005
Heck, let's do it quickly. :) Thanks!
Jason Pappas - 2/8/2005
I was hoping someone would argue this position. Very nicely done! There is really no other word with the meaning – both denotation and connotation – of the grand appellation: liberal. Since I’m not a writer, using the word usually means I must make a detour on the meaning and history of the term. However, I sometimes just use the word in a way that hints of the traditional meaning.
When I say “liberal democracy” people may not understand that I want a constitution to limit the rule of the majority and protect individual rights – but they sense some kind of limits. When I say “liberal economy” people may not understand the kind of economic liberty that I’m talking about but they suspect that I’m not talking about the welfare state. As they see the context of my usage it becomes clear that I'm talking about the classical liberal concept. This often leads into the discussion of the history of liberalism in general.
I really recommend that we slowly take back “our” word.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges