Historians' Petition: HNN's Coverage
- The Historians' Petition
- Breaking News Related to the Historians' Petition
- Signers of the Historians' Petition
- HNN Readers' Comments on the Petition
- Press Release Announcing Petition Presentation to Congress
- Joyce Appleby: Why We Began a Petition to Congress
- Joyce Appleby and Ellen Carol Dubois: War Issue Imperils Constitution (LA Times op ed)
- TomPaine.com advertisement on the op-ed page of the NYT 9-17-02
- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.: The Immorality of Preventive War
comments powered by Disqus
David McKinney - 9/19/2002
Professor Zinn cogently explains why war is a bad thing in this case.
But I think Republican Ron Paul makes an even better line item by line item case against.
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul read the following to the House of Representatives, September 10, 2002.
Soon we hope to have hearings on the pending war with Iraq. Here are some questions I would like answered by those who are urging us to start this war:
1. Is it not true that the reason we did not bomb the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War was because we knew they could retaliate?
2. Is it not also true that we are willing to bomb Iraq now because we know it cannot retaliate -- which just confirms that there is no real threat?
3. Is it not true that there are those who argue that even with inspections we cannot be sure that Hussein might be hiding weapons, and at the same time imply that we can be more sure that weapons exist in the absence of inspections?
4. Is it not true that the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency was able to complete its yearly verification mission to Iraq just this year with Iraqi cooperation?
Hari Lubin - 9/17/2002
War will not solve anything and in fact will add to the desperation and feelings of hostility to the USA encouraging more acts of terrorism.
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- William Buckley's FBI files released
- Graphic of the Week: Browse An Archive of 170,000 Depression-Era Photos
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich
- Niall Ferguson leaving Harvard for Stanford
- Integration Of Cheerleaders Was Difficult To Achieve
- New-York Historical Society to Open Women’s History Center