Historians' Petition: HNN's Coverage
- The Historians' Petition
- Breaking News Related to the Historians' Petition
- Signers of the Historians' Petition
- HNN Readers' Comments on the Petition
- Press Release Announcing Petition Presentation to Congress
- Joyce Appleby: Why We Began a Petition to Congress
- Joyce Appleby and Ellen Carol Dubois: War Issue Imperils Constitution (LA Times op ed)
- TomPaine.com advertisement on the op-ed page of the NYT 9-17-02
- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.: The Immorality of Preventive War
comments powered by Disqus
David McKinney - 9/19/2002
Professor Zinn cogently explains why war is a bad thing in this case.
But I think Republican Ron Paul makes an even better line item by line item case against.
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul read the following to the House of Representatives, September 10, 2002.
Soon we hope to have hearings on the pending war with Iraq. Here are some questions I would like answered by those who are urging us to start this war:
1. Is it not true that the reason we did not bomb the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War was because we knew they could retaliate?
2. Is it not also true that we are willing to bomb Iraq now because we know it cannot retaliate -- which just confirms that there is no real threat?
3. Is it not true that there are those who argue that even with inspections we cannot be sure that Hussein might be hiding weapons, and at the same time imply that we can be more sure that weapons exist in the absence of inspections?
4. Is it not true that the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency was able to complete its yearly verification mission to Iraq just this year with Iraqi cooperation?
Hari Lubin - 9/17/2002
War will not solve anything and in fact will add to the desperation and feelings of hostility to the USA encouraging more acts of terrorism.
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton