Daniel Pipes: America's Desultory Religious ReportingRoundup: Historians' Take
Some examples, culled over the years (with the caveat that some of these reporters no longer cover religion):
Geneive Abdo of the Chicago Tribune, who spoke at the 2003 annual conference of the Muslim Public Affairs Council.
David Crumm of the Detroit Free Press glorified an Islamist religious leader"Dearborn's Imam Qazwini: A champion for Islam's future."
Felix Hoover of the Columbus Dispatch, who was provided with meticulous, detailed information about problems at an Islamist school, the Sunrise Academy, only to ignore it.
Robert King of the Indianapolis Star, who covered the Islamic Society of North America convention as though it were the Elks or Masons.
Shirley Ragsdale of the Des Moines Register wrote a near hagiography of Ibrahim Dremali, still remembered for having exhorted a crowd in Florida,"not to be sad for the martyrs, or be afraid to die for what they believed in."
Bill Tammeus of the Kansas City Star wrote the memorably bad"Women of cover," a glorification of the hijab.
Rachel Zoll of the Associated Press, who naively accepted that a supposed anti-terror petition supported by the Council on American-Islamic Relations,"Not in the Name of Islam" is what it purports to be.
But – no surprise - my nominee for worst religion reporter goes to someone I have been watching since 2004:
Comment: (1) Is this incompetence a result of the mainstream media being so liberal that it cannot understand religion in general and radical Islam in particular? Probably. (2) As the MSM loudly laments its own demise, we conservatives see this as a mixed development, one that offers a chance for real improvement – and nowhere more than in the realm of reporting on religion.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize