Is the author of a new Oprah-touted love story the next James Frey?Roundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
Since going public with his story a decade ago, Herman appeared twice on"The Oprah Winfrey Show", who called it"the single greatest love story, in 22 years of doing this show, we've ever told on the air," and has been featured on the Hallmark Channel, Lifetime Television, and CBS News. He has been the subject of newspaper articles and inspirational mass-email chains. In March, a feature film, Flower of the Fence, based on Herman's life, is scheduled to go into production with a budget of $25 million dollars. A children's book, Angel Girl, was published in September. Berkley Books' Angel at the Fence has all the makings to become a best-seller. Berkley's winter catalogue for booksellers and reviewers describes Angel at the Fence as"the true story of a Holocaust survivor whose prayers for hope and love were answered," noting that it makes"a perfect Valentine's Day gift."...
An increasing number of prominent Holocaust scholars say no. Though archival records show that Herman was interned in concentration camps during the war, scholars who are investigating the story believe that the central premise of his narrative--that a girl met him at the fence and that very girl became his wife--is, at the very least, an embellishment, and at worst, a wholesale fabrication...
comments powered by Disqus
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades