Oliver Stone wins approval to do a movie about Ahmadinejad -- with conditionsRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
"We have announced that he has asked for permission to travel to Iran for direct negotiations and to plan the project," one official told the Tehran Times.
Stone first sought Iranian permission last summer to make the film, variously referred to as"Ahmadijenad's Adventures" or"The Truth About Ahmadinejad." His initial request was denied, but was then reconsidered and approved by the President himself"if certain conditions were met."
Among such conditions, the Tehran Times reported,"Stone would not be allowed to invent any scenarios. [Instead,] he should only use incidents from the president's real life in the film." See"Oliver Stone may visit Tehran for Ahmadinejad biopic: Sajjadpur," Tehran Times, November 30: http://www.tehrantimes.com
News about the proposed film project"has amazed and worried many friends of Islamic Iran's honour and power and those concerned about its reputation," according to one Iranian commentator.
"How can one trust a person... who, despite efforts at proclaiming himself to represent the opposition in America's ruling system, is in line and in accordance with the essence and the overall policies of this system," wrote Elham Rajabpur in the conservative Tehran daily Keyhan.
The writer objected to several of Stone's films including Alexander ("a hated figure among Iranians") and The Doors (about"one of America's perverted and half-mad singers").
"We are afraid that the outcome of [Stone's Iranian film] venture will not be the true and realistic portrayal of an intellectual and a peacemaker such as Ahmadinejad, but a portrayal of Ahmadinejad according to Stone, Hollywood, and global Zionism."
See"Oliver Stone's Presence in Iran: Opportunity or Threat" by Elham Rajabpur, Keyhan, December 3 (translated by the DNI Open Source Center):
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity