Why Hasn't There Been a Woman on a Major-Party Ticket Since Ferraro?Roundup: Media's Take
Eric Black, in the Star Tribune (March 11, 2004):
Twenty years ago this summer, Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale chose Rep. Geraldine Ferraro of New York as his running mate, which made her the first woman ever on a major party ticket.
At a reunion Wednesday morning, Mondale and Ferraro reminisced about their history-making 1984 partnership, then joined several analysts of gender politics in pondering why no women have been on a major presidential ticket since Ferraro broke the barrier.
Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster who got her first big break on the 1984 campaign, showed data suggesting that gender stereotypes still play a significant role in voters' choices. For example, only 46 percent of Americans described themselves as"very comfortable" with the idea of a woman president.
Although a couple of women have been mentioned as possible running mates for this year's presumptive Democratic nominee, Sen. John Kerry, the most prominently mentioned names are men. If Kerry picks a man and President Bush sticks with Vice President Dick Cheney, as he has said he will, that will make 20 males who have run for president or vice president on the major party tickets since Ferraro's breakthrough nomination.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity