"Breakfast at Tiffany's" dress fetches $920,000
Including the premium paid to auctioneers Christie's, the total cost for the sleeveless, floor-length Givenchy cocktail gown rose to 467,200 pounds ($920,000).
The sale room at Christie's broke into applause at the end of a long and tense session when it was finally bought by an anonymous telephone bidder. Christie's would only say that the successful bidder was European.
comments powered by Disqus
- 'Bloody Sunday' altered history of a horrified nation
- South Korean President Urges Japan to Admit Past Wrongs
- Ancient DNA challenges popular theory of Indo-European language arrival in Europe
- 15 Years On, Museum Where Slaves Landed Taking Form
- Civil Rights Landmark Bridge is Named for Reputed KKK Leader
- Nancy Cott selected as the next President-Elect of the Organization of American Historians
- Scholar calls ISIS destruction of antiquities an example of ethnic cleansing
- Historian Qingjia Edward Wang never thought he would one day write a book about chopsticks.
- Bernard Bailyn’s influence on the profession is hailed in the WSJ
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day